Friday, May 13, 2011

Being remembered

This comes from a chat I had with a professor I had my spring semester of my freshman year at Baldwin-Wallace.  I had not been in close contact with him much after my freshman year, but he gave me his best wishes at graduation and relived classroom moments with me where I had either impressed him or made some sort of impact on him and the class.  First thing is first, I thought the professor was supposed to impact the student (which most of them had), but not necessarily the other way around.  This made me feel great as I planned to receive my diploma in knowing that a professor from four years prior remembered my classroom anecdotes, where I sat, and could pin-point the discussions I participated in.  Now, this member of academia is now part of my extended network, I have his contact info, and I plan on letting him know of my progress post graduation.

It is important for all of you to make great impressions on the people that you meet, not only in college, but throughout your life.  You never know who is going to remember you and for what reasons, so make them all good ones if possible.  If you are in school, make sure you are avidly participating and meeting with some of your professors outside of the classroom to aid you in planning for the future.  If you are out, however, make a great impression on those at your workplace, the clients you have relationships with, and the people you meet on a day-to-day basis.  Doing this will keep you conscious of your behaviors as well as allow you to exponentially extend your network.

later days

No comments:

Post a Comment